Why I don’t trust organised charity

charity hands

With Comic Relief in full swing, I think I should raise my opinion of charity. The major charity organisations always release the same ads every year? Years ago, I saw tons of charity ads airing on my favourite cartoon channels, and they tried everything to guilt trip me into giving me my hard-earned cash.

The funny thing is, I’ve been seeing these ads for about a decade, and those issues have still not been resolved. I must wonder, what’s going on?

Well, as it turns out, most charity money does not actually go to charity. When you give money to charity, only about 20% of it goes to the needy. The other 80% goes to paying the staff, equipment, and making the bosses rich. When they say you’re doing a good thing by giving to charity, it is, unfortunately, a tragic lie.

The worst part about it is that the near endless stream of ads launched by global aid charities basically amounts to poverty porn (when the media exploits the poor’s condition in order to generate sympathy and donations), and they aren’t even ashamed.

Being that this is the day of Comic Relief, I think I should shed some light on that. The TV and radio companies charge £1 for every text made to them, and 70% of that £1 goes to the Comic Relief organisation. The other 30% (30p from millions of people is a lot) might go the people who need it. Think about it, 70% of your £1 for Comic Relief is keeping the BBC rich.

Given all that, are Jesse J and 1Direction really doing the right thing? Maybe they’re paid to believe the delusion.

1 way or another

Just awful. Even worse considering the Comic Relief scam they’re serving.

When I was a kid, I kept seeing ads for NSPCC (and I still do today), and they guilt-tripped me into wanting to donate. On my mom’s advice, I didn’t anyway. When I learned of how much a scam the big charity organisations are, I now dislike NSPCC, because they manipulate people’s emotions, and hide behind a noble cause to make money, indifferent to all charity organisations.

But there’s something odd. If you’re a good old fashioned con artists, society frowns upon you, and paints you as an immoral monster. However, if you’re the head of a charity organisation, society loves you, and views you as a saint. The thing is, charity organisations and con artists are really no different, but if you don’t give to charity, and openly admit it, society either views you as an idiot, or a complete monster.

I guess society just picks its con artist. Sadly, the Christian-influenced notion of charity is ingrained into our culture, and in a capitalist society, that leads to tons of companies appearing ready and willing to exploit our sense of guilt in order to get filthy rich.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not against the idea of helping others, but donating to an organised charity will not help much. In fact, all the money accumulated by big organised charities could have been used to cure AIDS or cancer, end poverty, or develop a way to go faster than the speed of light.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Why I don’t trust organised charity

  1. I’ve not given to Comic Relief for years because of my deep-rooted sense of unease about all the chutzpah, hype and mass hysteria surrounding it. It’s got to the stage that in our society, you are vilified if you even think of questioning the whole Comic Relief circus. I really do not know where the money goes to – or more to the point how much of it gets to the needy. When you consider that a goodly proportion gets creamed off by the artists, technicians, executives and companies before the programme even airs, it would be easy to believe that only a couple of pence in every pound actually makes its way to the poor village in Africa that, we’re told, needs a bore hole. If what I am writing appears inflammatory to all those do-gooders out there, then think on this: The same hype and general impenetrable aura of moral righteousness surrounded that denizen of BBC charity work, the late Jimmy Saville.

    • Yeah. I noticed, my dad seems to have been sucked in, because I tried to speak the truth, but he just bolsters the false notion that it’s for Africa. Why should I have to give the BBC money, when they’ve only been airing crappy programs on their channels? It’s gotten so bad only good thing BBC Three has is Family Guy (which is imported from America).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s